Educators value the success of all students. Educators care for students and act in their best interests.

During my practicum experiences I was, as are all educators at some point or another, with a cross-section of students who brought unique needs and challenges to the classroom. I spent a part of each week following up on and with students receiving LA and other support, or on in-school suspensions, checking on their progress and level of success with assignments, as well as communicating with the staff assigned to assist them.

For students requiring special support, and for more vulnerable students, I made a habit of keeping guardians apprised of significant developments in the classroom, in order that the students in question might benefit from the full support of their personal community of stakeholders. I familiarized myself with the individual stories and histories of students dealing with significant mental health issues, and adapted classroom circumstances as best I could to meet their needs. During my time on practicum, I noted and reported an incidence of self-harm, and provided support to a student in the early stages of a gender transition.