Educators understand and apply knowledge of student growth and development.

There is no such thing as a “normal” student, and I have sought out and completed numerous workshops and professional development sessions devoted to different types of learner. I have completed a POPFASD workshop, in addition to prior professional development devoted to students with FASD. I have extensive experience working as an EA, TTOC, and classroom teacher with students who are gifted, demonstrate a range of adverse behaviours, suffer from trauma, or who are autistic. These experiences have given me the opportunity to acquire insight into how different types of learners respond to different situations, and the kinds of approaches that are available to help them be successful.

Additionally, I have worked with many students from First Nations and other culturally distinct backgrounds, which has given me valuable intercultural experience which directly benefits many of the students I have taught. On the level of the individual learner, I understand that there are many different ways that they learn, and I always take care to accomodate this reality in my classrooms. Whenever possible I offer students an appropriate degree of choice in choosing how they will go about assignments, and present instructions in as many different ways as I can. If I feel that I lack an essential piece of knowledge, I make it a habit to seek out knowledgable colleaugues who may know the students better or who may be more knowledgeable in a certain area, in order that I might be of more effective assistance to my students.